My friend Sheena who I fondly call Sheenstar is convinced my favourite scripture is
“Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.” I Corinthians 15:58 NKJV
To be fair it’s one of my favourite scriptures because growing up in the faith I met too many Christians that pointed to the fervency of the past to justify their faith in God when faith is NOW!
Phrases like “I used to preach, I used to evangelise, I used to pray a lot” so much so that I vowed that I would never get to that. It will never be said of me that I used to be on fire for God.
I know that it takes the grace of God.
In the past couple of weeks, I’ve had to do some personal MOT and here is a word that summarises some of my reflections.
It’s the word- CONTINUE which means to persist in an activity or process.
Why? Because we know that in the last days perilous times will come, people will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power.
And from such people turn away! For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.” II Timothy 3:1-7 NKJV
I’m not trying to go out like that!So I’m asking for the grace to continue.
Apostle Paul encourages Timothy to continue in what He learnt and that’s what I’m trying to do with this blog that started out as a post for insta.
Apostle Paul said “But you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them,” II Timothy 3:14 NKJV
In verse 15 it says Timothy had known the holy scriptures since childhood. This resonates so much with me, as I have also known the Lord from childhood. What would it profit to know the Lord for that long and then turn back? Absolutely nothing!
(I encourage you to read the whole of 2 Timothy 3).
So.. what are some of the things to the continue in, to ensure we stay connected to God.
- Continue in the Word– “Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;”- John 8:31 KJV.
- Continue in Love– “As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.”- John 15:9 KJV. Love is the greatest commandment. Love God, love people, by our love people should recognise us as followers of Jesus. Your faith only works by love. God is love and if we are to truly be Christlike we too are to become love.
- Continue in Faith– “If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;”-Colossians 1:23 KJV. Remember without faith it is impossible to please God and your coming to God (continuous) is dependent on you believing God. If you no longer believe, you will depart from Him (Hebrews 3:12).
- Continue witnessing– “Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:”- Acts 26:22 KJV. Jesus commanded us to go into all the world to make disciples, He gave us His Spirit so we can be effective witnesses.
- Continue in prayer and thanksgiving– “Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;”- Colossians 4:2 KJV (Pray without ceasing)
- Continue in holiness– “Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.”- 1 Timothy 2:15 KJV. Hebrews 12:14 tells us that we are to pursue holiness.
- Continue fellowship with other believers– “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching..”-Hebrews 10:25 KJV (not a continue verse but still makes the point). Yes you don’t have to go to church to be saved but it helps in keeping you saved.
There is so much more that can be added to this. Like fasting, giving, worshiping etc. but I have run out of continue scriptures but I think you get the message.
Jesus said to the church in Ephesus in Rev 2, “Look how far you have fallen! Look at the things you used to do that helped strengthen and keep your relationship with God alive and on fire. Then turn back to God and do the works you did at first. If you don’t repent, He will come and remove your lampstand from its place among the churches.”- Revelation 2:5 NLT ( Wonu’s paraphrased).
That’s how lights go out- when they get disconnected! We can’t be laissez faire with our relationship with God. We can’t be slothful, we can’t afford for our zeal to die, no you haven’t done too much, no you haven’t done enough. Let’s get back the fervency of our spirit so we can serve the Lord. (Romans 12:11).
Yes you have been saved by grace and not by works but that does not mean you can be passive in your relationship. Relate is an active word, it is reciprocal. There are things we must do to keep our relationship with God alive so our fire does not die out.
You didn’t begin this race just to run for fun.
You are running to win because you know there is a crown of righteousness awaiting you.
In order to finish the race, it’s not enough to start, you must continue.
You must keep the faith!
If you feel you need a break from God, then there is something wrong with your love and so you should ask the Holy Spirit to help you love God so you can serve Him out of a pure heart.
This word is so important because we are seeing what Apostle Paul said to Timothy happen. Some people have fallen from the faith, some were leaders of churches who had led others in the faith. I know this year, I have spoken to people that were shaken by influential Christians denying the faith. But we were warned!
We must encourage each other to continue! We are not those that draw back! No we are those who believe (to the end) to the saving of the soul. (Hebrews 10:39).
But course all of this is by the grace of God. So my final continue is from Acts 13:43, I encourage you like Apostle Paul and Barnabas encouraged them to continue in the grace of God, trusting and believing in His goodness and love.
I pray the fire on our altars never go out and that as we have started the race, we finish well in Jesus name.
God bless and keep you